Passa ai contenuti principali

SNK∆ X Groovisionary - Interview














SNK∆ is the name of a french producer based in Paris, we discovered him just few weeks ago and we instantly appreciate his style on the sequencer. sum° beats, The Gemini Tape and Carnaval are just some of the released projects, where style and quality of samples are guaranteed time by time. Mostly he produced instrumental albums, sometimes he puts on top of them some acapellas or features directly with some mcs.



His syncopated beats show you another way of rhytm and drum patterns, the care about details and sound of each beat's element has elevated his production and brought him to another level. We're glad of this discovery and through this interview we hope to share his sound as much as possible. Anyway we'll continue to listen to his production and support his work.



Thanks a lot to SNK∆ for his disposability and good music, stay tuned for the incoming release with Cosmic Composition and check out his social network pages. Good vibes guys, everyday ensured.





INTERVIEW 






1. Which was your first contact in absolute with hip hop culture? (like tags on walls and trains, b-boy’s dance etc.etc.) 





My first contact with the HipHop culture was with my radio, when I was like 10/12 years old. I was directly attracted by BoomBap, french rap like NTM, Fonky Family, IAM, Lunatic… 





My first contribution to the movement was with graffiti, when I was 15.





2. Did you start from the beginning to make beats or did you try to express yourself artistically through a different way? Not only considering hip hop culture. 





At first, my uncle gave me a guitar when I was 12/13, and I played it for 7/8 years. The beginning with beatmaking happened when I was 18. I'm 25 now. 





3. Which is your basilar setup for make a beat currently? How did it change whit the time? Do you have any basic parts that you can do without? 





Ableton 8 + SP 404sx + vinyls + a lot of cool sounds picked or recorded here and there. My musical approach is the only thing changing with the time and my setup can support that for the moment :) 





4. About sampling, which kind of music do you prefer to sample from (genre, year)? Do you like to describe us any particular technique that you appreciate a lot, or just how do you cut and modify your samples for a beat which keeps your flavor? 





First of all, I'm a music lover. I think there is good and bad in all kind of music. When I ear something that I can use for make a beat, no matter years/style of music, I try instantly. The way I'll chop depends of my mood on the moment, weather, hour of the day… When you ear something good and you want chop it to make a beat, the result won't be the same at noon or midnight. 





5. About drums, do you sample it or use drum kits? Tell us how do you prepare your drums, if you like a specific process for layering and modify your kits, compression and equalization of your breaks and single kicks, snares etc. etc. 





If possible, explain us how you create your drum patterns, if you use sometimes directly a drum break, and how you like to insert it in the song. Practically, whatever you like to share about your drum’s preparation.





I make my drums with a lot of breaks cut from vinyl, plus single elements coming from my drum banks. I can use any kind of sound too to make a good drum element. I will not make the same drums if I prepare them first, or the sample first. I make everything in Ableton, sometimes I write it with my mouse, sometimes I play it. Sometimes both. It really depend of my mood and what I want to do. I'm looking for precise vibez first. 





6. About compression and equalization of your tracks, do you use any external interfaces? Can you describe us comp and eq in your tracks, how do you set them and how do you like that your beats sounds? If you work with external engineers, what you think about it and where generally you work and produce your music. 





I haven't any external VST. Really, I don't like it. I have everything I need to get the sound I want with Ableton and my SP, sometimes I use comp from Ableton or SP. Less I have to touch the original sound source, more I'm happy. The most important thing for me is to get the best quality samples, drums, before the making of beat: it’s like cooking with shit, you'll get shit. Cooking with quality food, you'll get quality result. 





7. About live set, how do you play the music? Do you use vinyls, serato/tracktor or the SP 404? About 404, why did you start to use it? Which sides of this machine do you appreciate particularly? 





I play my live set with my 404sx only, but I would try other setup in the near future. The best part with 404 is the FX and the fact that you don't have a screen, it''s cool to concentrate myself only on my ears and not on ears plus view. I started to use 404 because of a good beatmaker/friend (Adjaman), he raised my desire to get one. 





8. Which are your main music influences? Which is the musician who represent your the greatest inspiration? Currently, who are your favorite producers and musicians (not only about Hip Hop music)? 





I think one of my biggest influence at the moment is Miles Davis. His music helps me to extend my vision of music, in particularly the album Bitches Brew. It says to me "there is no limit in rhythm, harmony, time, dialogue,…". 





I love the work of Flying Lotus, the way he's building his beats, the wildness of his rhythm and flow, all the little elements he adds in his drums to give to his music another dimension. He's one of my favourite beatmaker and I'm really looking forward his new album: the trailer he lets out sounds dope… 





I'm deeply into the vibe of producers like Iman Omari, Knx, Mndsgn. I stop here but the list is long. 





9. What is Comsmic Composition? Why did you decide to publish your Carnaval album just with this Auckland based label? Which are the upcoming projects that regards you, ShunGu and many other producers?









Cosmic Compositions is a New Zealand based netlabel focused on jazz/soul/hiphop releases more & more physical.. For me, it's one of my fav netlabel, mainly because of their Avant Garde Series. I get the chance to be part of their roaster. I released a 7 tracks EP with CC called Carnaval, and I'm about to drop a physical release with them really soon (y'all must check the fb page in few dayz). I'm glad about the next Shungu's project on CC but I don't really want to spoil, I let CC make the announcment. I'm glad too about the connexion between CC and artists as Adjaman, Chester Watson...





10. Do you like to feature with other producers for a two-headz beat? Tell us something about collaboration with Bruxelles-based producer ShunGu, with whom you release few weeks ago The Gemini Tape.

Can you reveal us also a producer that you would like to produce with, but you haven’t yet? 





I like to make beats with ShunGu because I think we love the same music and we're looking for the same vibes in beatmaking, so it's really easy to work with him. I'm really glad about this Gemini Tape we made together, I really like it. Thanks again to Hot Record Société for this one. My collaboration isn't finished with ShunGu, we have a lot of unreleased beats, and they'll see the sun soon :) 





I would get the chance to meet all the guys from my "soundcloud following", and why not, make beats with them. I love the work of Ahwlee these days, for example :p 





11. Which is the last record that you played and loved, and that you feel to share and advise to other people? 





One of the last vinyl I bought is a re-edition of Donny Hathaway - Extension of a Man. Deep soulful and fly LP with the Magical "Someday We'll All Be Free" (sampled by Iman Omari in his "Energy" track). 





12. Leave us your contact to submit and follow your music, to book a show with you. If you like to say something more, feel free to tell what you prefer. And thanks a lot for the attention and good vibes.











Thanks to Groovisionnary for this interview =) 








A last word: 





Physical release is really coming soon.



Commenti

Post popolari in questo blog

ShunGu X Groovisionary - Interview

Louis ShunGu is a belgium beatmaker based in Bruxelles, we met him a couple of months ago and we instantly appreciate his style on the beats: he's part of the incredible number of good producer that we follow on Soundcloud, and release after release, beat after beat we listened to him and started to think about an interview. Now it's a reality, we joined him virtually and talk as usual about the art of make a beat. He's a good guy, we can just say thanks to him for disposability and advise everybody about his releases. Check out the astrological series  of EPs with Hot Record Société , the last release with Cosmic Composition and follow him on Soundcloud.  Support from Italy to ShunGu, have a good time bro, we see you! INTERVIEW 1. Which was your first contact in absolute with hip hop culture? (like tags on walls and trains, b-boy’s dance etc.etc.) It was Mc Solaar, its a french mc, he was the first guy to give me that hip hop love...  2. Did you start from the beginnin

Luca Barcellona aka Lord Bean X Groovisionary - Intervista

Foto di Sha Ribeiro Luca Barcellona. Lord Bean. Bean One. Bugs Kubrick . Tanti nomi che raggruppano un solo talento, un'artista polivalente. Abile mc ed abilissimo writer, con il tempo Luca ha sviluppato uno stile unico in entrambe le arti appena citate: mi ha sempre impressionato ed appassionato per la lucidità e la formula con la quale sceglie di comunicare i propri pensieri e le proprie idee, in maniera non solo non convenzionale ma anche molto efficace ed originale. Sia su muro - e tutte le altre superfici sulle quali lavora - che al microfono, ha sempre dato il meglio di sé, tentando strade inesplorate e restando sempre genuino e senza filtri. Al microfono, sotto gli pseudonimi di Lord Bean/Bugs Kubrick ha realizzato due lavori totali ed alcune collaborazioni con i migliori esponenti della penisola: il demo Lord Bean , pubblicato nel 1999, è il primo lavoro ufficiale e contiene tracce storiche come "Gli occhi della strada" , "Sotto i bombardamenti" e "

Rubrica Settimanale - Italians: Gué Pequeno

L'artista italiano di cui parliamo oggi è  Cosimo Fini , meglio conosciuto con gli pseudonimi di Guè Pequeno ,  Il Guercio o Lucky Luciano  ( Milano , 25 dicembre 1980 ), rapper italiano membro dei Club Dogo e della Dogo Gang . Il suo soprannome Guercio deriva da una ptosi all'occhio sinistro,  mentre l'altro soprannome, Guè Pequeno , è una chiara allusione a Ze Pequeno , protagonista del film City of God . Come già accennato, Guè è un terzo dei Club Dogo , una fra le rap band più influenti d'Italia: la sua carriera coi Dogo lo porta sui palchi dei migliori liveclub della penisola e conquista strade, fan e spazi nel mainstream.   Nel 2008 recita nel cortometraggio "5 Euro" di Tekla Taidelli ( clicca per guardare il corto ), assieme a Don Joe , Jake La Furia   (questi ultimi due compagni nei Club Dogo ), Marracash , Vincenzo Da Via Anfossi , La Pina , Ugo Conti , Matteo Gianoli (Fame Chimica), e altri. Nel 2009 ha lanciato il marchio di abbigliamento